CEL-KIDS Archives

CEL-KIDS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Fri, 30 Jan 2009 22:36:06 GMT

Hi, I teach at an elementary school and my son with celiac will be going to full day kindergarten this fall also (with lunch- yikes!). I have spoken with our principal about it and he wants me to come to a staff meeting and inform the teachers about his needs. He wants me to speak to everyone because all teachers do recess duty and lunch room duty is rotational, so his classroom teacher will not be with him all the time. He also suggested make a reference page for the teachers with a small picture of him on it and general info about celiac and what to do if he accidentally eats the wrong thing. We had a parent of a child with diabetes do this and the teachers liked having the sheet they could refer to just in case.
We also teach our son to be his own advocate (some of the first words he learned to read were 'gluten-free'). However, I do agree that there are times students don't speak up for themselves when a teacher is requiring/insisting on something. In preschool a sub teacher brought playdough and my son said he couldn't play with it. She convinced him he could and it would be ok, so he did (and it wasn't).
I heard of a class that had one of the classroom 'jobs' was to use a little vacuum to clean up crumbs after snacks. It was told to the class that it is good manners to clean up after yourselves so that is why we have the job. The kids apparently loved when it was their turn. They also washed hands after they ate lunch/snacks. A boy with a peanut allergy at our school also gets to sit at the end of the table, just to reduce the chances of exposure from another child's lunch.
I think a balance of informed teachers and confident, knowledgable kids is a good plan, if it can work that way. I still have lots of questions for his future teacher, and I am sure there will be a lot of struggles along the way. I, too, would like to hear if there is anything someone has tried with their school-ager that has been successful! Thanks!

* Cel-Kids Web Page:  http://www.enabling.org/ia/cel-kids *