CEL-KIDS Archives

CEL-KIDS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Thu, 12 Feb 2009 10:32:15 -0500

I have gathered a list of public school districts that serve a complete GF lunch
for celiac students. Since I had many more respond that they wanted to also
have this list, I am posting it to the listserve.

Dracut Public Schools  -  Dracut, MA
West Bend School District  - West Bend, Wisconsin
Rochester Independent School District – Rochester, MN
Belchertown Public Schools – MA
Port Washington Saukville School District – Port Washington, Wisconsin
Fairfax County, VA    (County-wide school district)
Ventura Unified School District - Ventura, CA
Millard Public Schools in Omaha, Nebraska

This list was taken from responses from both the celiac and celiac kids
listserves. I was surprised by the number of replies saying that their district
would not work with them. I have accepted this myself over the past years
but feel with the proper tools, all public schools can learn how to provide a
safe GF lunch using techniques to eliminate cross-contamination. I don't think
of doing this just for my son, but rather paving the way for other celiac
families in the district.

Here are some valuable documents if you are considering the porcess with
your children. You must request a 504 plan and the schools cannot talk you
out of it. It is your right.
This first document is published by the Gluten Intolerance Group and the
American Celiac Disease Alliance.
http://www.gluten.net/downloads/print/Students%20with%20Celiac%
20Disease.pdf
Within this document are links to a sample 504 plan.

This next document is from the USDA explaining step by step instructions for
your school in developing a special dietary lunch program. Remember that
celiac disease meets the requirements and does fall under the Americans with
Disabilities Act.
http://www.fns.usda.gov/CND/Guidance/special_dietary_needs.pdf

Good Luck,
Diane

* Support summarization of posts, reply to the SENDER not the CEL-KIDS List *