CEL-KIDS Archives

CEL-KIDS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Andrea Ihnen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Andrea Ihnen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 May 2012 11:47:52 -0400

My little girl (age 2) was diagnosed with celiac disease 6 months ago.  She’s STILL not improving on the GF diet (which is a whole other topic) and her daycare provider (home setting) is no longer willing to provide care for her.  She’s nervous that my daughter is being exposed to gluten through cross contamination at her house and she’s overwhelmed with the stress of trying to clean and control all the crumbs from all the other kids who are eating gluten or carrying it in from their own homes.  This is incredibly upsetting to me because now I’m worried I won’t be able to find a daycare provider who is willing to work with me on this (especially during this critical healing period) and how will I ever know or trust that there’s no cross contamination going on no matter where I send her (even if I educate the provider and know for certain the food my daughter eats is GF)?  For those of you who have had young children with celiac disease, what did you do for daycare?  How did you know for certain that the other kids weren’t making a mess and spreading their gluten crumbs to your child?  I know licensed daycare centers have to comply with food allergies and such, but how do you know that the other kids aren’t somehow spreading their crumbs to areas that my daughter is exposed to?  I’m considering getting a nanny who will come to my own home, but that’s very expensive, and I want my children to benefit from the social interaction that they can get through going to someone else’s home or a center.  But I don’t want cross contamination at daycare to be the reason my daughter’s symptoms aren’t improving.  Can anyone share with me how you handled daycare?

* Support summarization of posts, reply to the SENDER not the CEL-KIDS List *