CEL-KIDS Archives

CEL-KIDS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Melinda Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Apr 2001 14:53:11 -0500

Hi, I am new to this listserv and am hoping to find someone that has a
child like my 17 month old, Hunter.  I have a 3 year old, Grant, who is
Celiac.  Hunter, however, is intolerant to so many proteins it is
unbelievable.  He cannot drink any formulas made in the U.S. and we have
tried them all--protein hydrosolates, soy, Similac, lactose-free
versions.  We have tried almond milk, cow's milk, goat's milk and they
all cause him to projectile vomit and become quite ill.  Eating meat
gives him diarrhea.  I have not tried feeding him gluten since my other
son and myself are Celiac.  He can eat rice, maize, corn products,
fruits and vegetables.  His source of protein comes from Neocate, a
formula that is already broken down into amino acids.  This has been
going on since September.  I breastfed him for five months and he was on
Similac, surprisingly, for a few months before the vomiting began.  It
started out as diarrhea then became vomiting.

If any of you have been down this road with your child, please let me
know what you did to help him.  My mother briefly spoke to a doctor
today that said he needs to start taking glutamine to heal his leaky
gut.  I don't know anything about this really.  Do any of you?   Please
help if you can.  I appreciate it so, so much.

Melinda