CEL-KIDS Archives

CEL-KIDS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Wendy Kenney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Apr 2001 21:37:32 -0500

thank you all for your responses.  They were helpful.  Only a couple of you
also had asthma as a symptom to celiac.  Thank you for you advice.  Many of
you recommended getting the test done for confirmation and also to find a
good gastrointestional doctor.  I have visited our only youth one in this
area once for blood in the stool when he was young (5 months) but have not
seen him since.  I needed to clarify in the original message that he had
been tested for allergies and had come up negative for the thirty most
common including milk and wheat.  Many of you wrote to say that he needs to
be on a gluten free diet not just wheat.  Thanks I many times forget that
wheat is not the only thing that has gluten.  In all most of you said get
to a good doctor and stay away from all gluten.  Asthma seemed to fall into
two categories,  treated as unrelated and did not seem to occur or increase
with exposure and one or two of you who saw this happening with gluten
exposure.  One father hypothesized that it may be because of the mucus
developing in the lungs making it hard to breathe.  Which is definitely
what happens to my son.  He gets very congested with a runny nose after
exposure.  Once again thank-you for all your responses it really is
comforting to know that there is others around dealing with the same daily
problems.

Wendy Kenney