CEL-KIDS Archives

CEL-KIDS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jomama188 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 May 1998 19:06:09 EDT

Hi!  I am new to this list and hope ya'll can help.  My daughter (10) was
diagnosed with an allergy to wheat, barley, rye, oats, nuts etc etc etc when
she was about a year old.  She has dealt with it well.  When she was younger
we avoided even small amounts of wheat.  Now she can handle very small amounts
without causing a reaction. (to her skin)  I thought this meant she was
"growing out" of her allergy.  Now after learning a little about celiacs I am
concerned.  At her last dentist visit he said that her teeth seem to be
decaying he says lack of brushing, which is true, but after reading some posts
I am worried it could also be malabsorbtion.  When I asked her pediatrician
about it he said Who said Celiac?  She is growing just fine.  Anyway she goes
for her physical next week with a new doctor.  Does anyone have any
suggestions as to what to ask?  I'm afraid that if she is celiac then then
small amounts of wheat she is currently getting could be harmful to her.

Thanks in advance.
Johanna