CEL-KIDS Archives

CEL-KIDS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
REBECCA RICHARDSON <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Jul 2001 16:28:23 -0500

Our daughter was diagnosed with CD 3 years ago, and at the time, our
pediatric GI seemed to feel that follow up blood testing for exposure to
gluten was not necessary.  I understand that many people have their
children tested annually.  We are considering it, but would appreciate
input on the following questions:

1.  Is there a threshold amount of gluten exposure that must be reached
before the test will register a positive?

2.  Has anyone found this testing to be really useful when performed on an
otherwise healthy child?  Or does it merely provide reassurance that the
child is maintaining GF status?

3.  Do people who do annual testing also do endoscopy (sp?).  (Our
daughter has never been biopsied, her diagnosis was based on blood testing
only.)

If there are tangible benefits to the testing, we probably will do it.
But I don't want to put her to unnecessary pain and us to unnecessary
expense if the real benfits appear to be neglible.