CEL-KIDS Archives

CEL-KIDS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Wed, 13 Sep 2006 13:26:39 -0400

Hello,
I suspect my 21 mo. old daughter has a gluten intolerance or sensitivity, or perhaps celiac disease.  It
runs in our family.  She developed runny stools about 3 months ago, and though she is still growing,
she has very little desire to eat.  Then, about 6 weeks ago, she developed hives which she has had
every day since.  I've noticed that when she ingests wheat, her hives get worse.  I have so many
questions!  First, I had my daughter's stool tested by Enterolab with their Gluten Sensitivity Stool
Test.  The results showed that my daughter has active dietary gluten sensitivity (her IgA levels were
elevated).  Does anyone know if Enterolab is any good?  Secondly, my daughter received the blood
test after the Enterolab results came in, and it was normal.  She has an appt. with a pediatric
gastroenterologist next week.  I'm not sure what to expect at the gastro.'s office.  Are there more
blood tests that can be done, or is a biopsy the only avenue we have?  I really do not want to put my
little girl through that.  However, I'd like to know for sure that gluten is her problem before I subject
her to a lifetime of gluten-free eating.  I would greatly welcome and appreciate any information that
you could share with me.  Thanks so much.  Amber

* General celiac discussions should be sent to CeliacLISTSERV.ICORS.ORG *