CEL-KIDS Archives

CEL-KIDS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Lori Davis Hill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 May 2001 18:18:52 -0500

I have a 9 month old daughter who had a positive blood test for gluten
allergy.  She was failure to thrive and didn't gain weight since she was 4
months old.  The pediatrician recommended a gluten free diet which seemed to
make a difference (i.e. she started gaining weight and her stools changed)
in a couple of weeks.  She was seen by a pediatric gastroenterologist who
suggested continuing the gluten free diet and scheduled a biopsy.  She
was on the gluten free diet for 6 weeks prior to the biopsy.  She had the
biopsy last week and the gastroenterologist said her intestine appeared to
be classic Celiac but the analysis results were negative for Celiac.  She
has been gaining weight on the gluten free diet so we will continue to keep
her gluten free for now until we meet again with the gastroenterologist.
She has also had chronic rhinitis since she was 4 months old.  My questions
are: has any one had a similar experience...and, does any one have any ideas
for breakfast cereal besides RICE (she's getting sick of it).  Thanks