CEL-KIDS Archives

CEL-KIDS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Tue, 9 Jun 1998 22:33:26 -0700

Hi all,

Need some help.  I'm just in a quandry.  Some of you might remember I have
a Foster Daughter who I went dairy/gluten free about 2 years ago.

She kept losing weight and losing weight ... I could not make a home made
'formula' that worked for her and got her all she needed nutritionally.

So we went to a Ped GI (a whole nother story!) who put her eventually on
Pregestimil which is a pre digested milk.  It's the best but she still
reacts to it a bit.  But staying healthy on it.  Just congested a lot plays
with the mucus in the back of her throat after every bottle.

Anyway ... this stuff is $22 a can (darn near a can a day!) ... so I've
been anxious to get an alternative for her.

Way back when she first came to us she projectile vomited soy so we did not
try that again.  Well about 6 weeks or so ago I started very quietly adding
soy to her bottle.  Had it up to 1 to 1 when her ears started.  Has not had
an ear infection that required antibiotics for almost a year and a half.
At the end of the second round of antibiotics it hit me it was probably the
soy.

Then we had to do a third round.  *sigh*

She's OFF soy ... back on the high dollar Progestimil.

I need a formula that is not milk and not soy.  Does anyone know of one?  I
have exhausted all my sources but thought I'd check here.  Again I tried to
make my own but she's got some kind of malabsorbtion problem.  I HAVE to
supplement what little she will eat by mouth for calories and nutrients.
She's currently getting over 2,000 calories a day and is just at 30 lbs at
4 years.  It's all I can do to keep her weight up at that.

I'd like to try goats milk but cannot until the adoption is final.  :)

Any suggestions?

HELP!

Love,

Amy