CEL-KIDS Archives

CEL-KIDS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Carrie Elsass <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Carrie Elsass <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Jan 2005 19:58:39 -0500

I am looking for a good Pediatric Gastroenterologist(and if you know of a
great allergy doctor up on the latest techniques, that would be great too,-
 I know many of your Celiac kids also struggle with allergies) in Arizona.
With our insurance, we cannot go outside AZ without paying a hefty fee. I
am new to the list and have read all the archives. I think my Mother-In-
Law has also posted this question to the general Celiac list.
Some background:
My 3 1/2 year old was having extreme behavioral issues, and we had him
tested for food allergies. He came out as allergic to a number of things
(which makes keeping him GF INFINITELY more difficult!). This lab
(Immunolabs) also found moderate levels of IgG antibodies to gluten.
Previous bloodwork had showed him to be negative on all measures of
Celiac, so I was resting on my laurels even though we have a family
history.
We sent off for testing with Enterolabs & they did find the Celiac gene as
well as tTg levels and IgA levels. They also found antibodies to casein,
which the other lab did not find. I am not sure what information to go
with- they collect through the stool. Are antibodies found sooner there
than in blood? Do you see casein as a permanent problem if he indeed has
antibodies to it (I know gluten sensitivity will be permanent if he indeed
has Celiac, which it looks like he does)?
I wrote to Dr. Rapp, a prominent allergist, and she said that if we don't
know the environmental allergens, we are missing a big part of the picture-
 she said she has yet to encounter a person with food allergies only. So I
took Jordan to a local traditional allergist who did the scratch test (I
know, not nearly as reliable). He wants to do weekly allergy shots, and
since one of the environmental allergens detected was dust, we are going
to buy hypoallergenic pillow & mattress covers today. But as far as
pollens, etc. what have your kids' doctors advised you to do about those
allergies? Do you think allergy shots are wise or not? We really want to
give the food elimination alone a chance, but he is still having symptoms
(congestion, red ears & cheeks, behavioral issues), and we want to see him
well. Your thoughts, ideas, & suggestions are much appreciated.   Thanks
in advance for your help.

* Support summarization of posts, reply to the SENDER not the Cel-Kids List *