CEL-KIDS Archives

CEL-KIDS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Fri, 30 Jan 2009 21:06:36 -0600

When my daughter was in school there were a few problems with her getting food from other kids at lunch and for snack in the classroom until I stressed to the teachers that this had to stop because it was effecting my daughters health.  They asked me for a list of what she could not have, I brought in a 10 item list and they said, " not bad we can deal with this" until  I said to look at the top of the page - these were the only things that my daughter could eat.  That stopped them cold, but there were no more problems of my daughter getting food items she could not eat.   As for parties that was relatively easy,  for the school parties she as given only an approved food that was sent in by me.  The parties she was invited to outside of school was even easier, all I had to do was call the parent giving the party and explain my daughter's dietary problems and the parent would make sure that my daughter was given a food she could eat but in a way that did not make her seem any different from the other children.  When talked to in advance all the parents were cooperative and some even said that their child(ren) had similar dietary restrictions.

Anita Drexler, Houston, TX

* Cel-Kids Web Page:  http://www.enabling.org/ia/cel-kids *