CEL-KIDS Archives

CEL-KIDS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Willingham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 May 1999 12:31:05 -0700

As promised, this is my  summary of information gathered during research for
a book I'm working on about celiac disease in children.  The survey I sent
participants queried them on early symptoms of CD in their children, tips,
and experiences.  Here's what I found:

1) All the children in the survey suffered from the classic symptoms of
nasty, floating diarrhea , some with the addition of vomiting, and a couple
with delayed growth between the ages of one and three.  Almost all reported
initial reassurances from doctors that "it's nothing."  Or "it's just a
virus," and the subsequent prescription of antibiotics that didn't seem to
cure anything.  All, thankfully, persisted!

2) None (except for my own son) seemed to have any history of any type of
autoimmune disorders in the immediate family.

3) Greatest challenges have typically been staying  GF outside the home --
in school and daycare, especially -- but also in restaurants and other
outings.  Other difficulties include getting accurate information right
after a diagnosis and learning to shop GF.

4) Great tips: 1) Get Creative! came up several times.  One of the most
useful tips, I think, suggested experimenting with foods from other cultures
where wheat is not a staple ingredient. 2) Keep plenty of GF snacks on hand
for the little folks (M&Ms, GF pretzels and cookies) 3) Have a support
system -- online or otherwise where you can trade info with others 4) This
one's real important too: Involve your child  in the management of his or
her diet, by allowing him or her to cook and select appropriate foods
whenever possible. and 5) Keep it Simple.  There's no need to get elaborate
with meals or treats, or to buy every GF item ever made.

5) Lessons Learned, or what having CD in the family has taught you: CD has
to be put in perspective, most parents said. Almost all families said that
they are grateful their child's illness can be treated with diet, and isn't
cancer or another life threatening, unmanageable illness.  Many said that it
was important that  GF becomes a family lifestyle, and that it's not
necessary to alter everything drastically to accommodate a child with CD.
Others noted that it's important to be very involved in many outside aspects
of your child's life (and that's a GREAT thing!), making sure there are
always GF treats and snacks for outings and field trips and parties.

6) Miscellaneous:  A few parents had the great idea of "labeling" their
small  children with a big pinned on note that cautions against feeding the
child.  In a crowded preschool or daycare setting, there's certainly no
mistaking the message "DON'T FEED ME!"  and it's an inexpensive, health
maintaining solution to the problem of  child care providers possibly
forgetting instructions or children, especially if there is a large turn
over of staff.  Another parent mentioned the use of a Medic Alert bracelet,
another excellent idea.  There was also the mention of Pizza Hut, in at
least one area (you  should talk to local PH folks for the specific case
where you live) happily scrubbing out pizza pans to cook GF pizzas for a
child whose mother brought in GF pizza dough for them to cook.  And ordering
Burger King meals without the bun is fairly common, too.   And a few
parents with older children who had been diagnosed as toddlers were happy to
report -- and for those of us with little CD ers, this is the light at the
end of the tunnel! -- that they had happy, well adjusted, active, athletic 8
and 11 year olds who now managed their diet quite well and being GF had
become an ordinary part of life for the whole family.

And that's it in a nutshell. Thanks to all who participated in my survey,
and if I ever get this book published, I'll be sure to let everyone know!