CEL-KIDS Archives

CEL-KIDS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Christine Heckle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Christine Heckle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Jan 2009 19:43:13 -0500

My daughter was diagnosed with CD in December 06 through biopsy.  She
was not having any symptoms (except she was small and I thought she
had a big belly, but everyone else told me I was silly and it was low
muscle tone).  Because she also has Down syndrome, we tested her for
celiac and it was positive.  I remarked to the GI that I was surprised
because she never acted like her belly hurt or anything.  He said that
maybe she felt bad all the time and she didn't know what good felt like.

So we started the GF diet Jan 07 and she's been doing great.  She's 5
now and she takes a lot of ownership for her food.  She'll order
"gluten free pasta" when we go out and she'll order "hot dog no bun"
with no problem.  She always asks "are these my pretzels? are these my
crackers?"  She really knows and understands.

Because she is asymptomatic and her blood tests indicate that her CD
is under good control, we haven't been a GF household or hugely
careful with shared butter, for instance.  I won't give her butter
with wheat bread crumbs, but I will give her butter from the same stick.

Within the past 4 weeks, she has had 2 "episodes" where she acts like
she's going to throw up or says that her belly hurts, but it passes in
just a few hours.  In each case, she has touched something with wheat,
but we have seen her and told her to put it down and she does.  We
make her wash her hands, and as far as we know, she hasn't eaten the
wheat.

So - does anyone have any experiences related to no symptoms for
nearly 2 years and then developing some symptoms?

Thanks,
Chris