CEL-KIDS Archives

CEL-KIDS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Michelle Tait <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michelle Tait <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Apr 2005 09:18:15 -0700

Hi all.  My son is now 6 years old and was diagnosed with Celiac 2 years ago.  He's been having a great year and has been very positive about his life for several months.  However, last night, 5 minutes after putting him to bed, he walked into my room and said "Mom, I don't want to be gluten free anymore".  When I asked him about it he told me that he misses eating Goldfish and that at snack time in kindergarten all his friends are eating them....he remembers how much he loves them and it makes him so sad to look at everyone else eating them and he can't.

I know that periodically he will feel this way but I'm curious what some other parents say to their young Celiac children in similar situations.  Also, what types of snacks do your children enjoy at school and is there a gluten free Goldfish cracker substitue out there?  My son is in full day kindergarten and they bring a snack from home to have in the afternoon.  It will be the same next year in 1st grade.    (We live in Chicago.)

Thank you all for your time and advice.
Warmly,
michelle

Yahoo! Messenger

* Support summarization of posts, reply to the SENDER not the CEL-KIDS List *