CEL-KIDS Archives

CEL-KIDS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Lindsay Amadeo <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lindsay Amadeo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Aug 2003 23:24:45 -0500

Thank you to everyone that responded.   Comments fell into three general
categories:

· Parents that don’t let their kids eat products that are not
produced in dedicated gf facilities.
· Parents that serve their kids foods that are reasonably assured of
being gf and from manufacturers that comply with the standard cleanliness
practices for washing the production lines.
· A few parents that are letting their kids eat Captain Crunch, even
though it contains oats
· One parent mentioned the nutritionist from the University of
Chicago Celiac Clinic was concerned about her child eating the cereal, but
was waiting for blood test results to come back before rendering an opinion

Lots of suggestions for kid-popular gluten free cereals such as:  Kellogg’s
Corn Pops (US only, vitamin fortified), Malt-O-Meal Fruity Dynobites, Corn
Bursts and Coco Dynobites (all vitamin fortified), EnviroKids Panda Puffs,
Koala Crisps and Gorilla Munch, President’s Choice Crunchy Corn, Erewhon’s
Rice Twice, Nature’s Path Honey’d Corn Flakes, Barbara’s Honey Rice
Flavored Puffins, Health Valley Rice Crunch Em’s, Post Coco and Fruity
Pebbles.  Bob’s Red Mill Really Great Hot Cereal, Arrowhead Mills Rice
Puffs.

And a note from someone who knows a production worker at a Quaker Oats
plant, “Living in Cedar Rapids, IA where Captain Crunch is made, I know
they do not worry about cross contamintation in their plant.  I have been
told by managers at Quaker that Captain Crunch is definitely not gluten
free because of the way they process it.”

Suggestions for other sugary breakfast treats:  pumpkin pie or a fruit pie,
Nutella GoGurt, Kozy Shack Rice Pudding, pancakes & waffles that can be
made in batches and frozen.

Mostly my kids just want to walk down that grocery aisle and pick out a
sugary cereal that has a toy in it!  Most of the time I’m very matter of
fact about their situation, but having them wistfully ask me to buy the
cereal for myself (I’m not celiac), just because they want to participate
in something so attractive to them gets to me occasionally.  Knowing that
every school hot lunch, birthday party, sleepover is a place where they
have to show their difference makes me want to try to find as much “main
stream” products as possible.   Realize that accepting food limitations is
a part of managing this disease, but it’s my hope as research progresses
and more manufacturers realize the size of the gluten free market, that may
some day be possible.  One poster admonished me about “think what you are
role modeling for your child!”  I don’t understand this comment – my kids
are now 6&8 and have been managing this disease for five years.  As they
have matured, I have taught them to take more responsibility for managing
their diet.  What I am role modeling is that 1) you take no known risk  2)
you research the unknown  3) you make thoughtful, informed decisions

And many thanks to the woman who attached this extract indicating oats may
cause damage to celiac children:

Scand J Gastroenterol. 2003 Jul;38(7):742-6.  Antibodies to oat prolamines
(avenins) in children with coeliac disease. Hollen E, Hogberg L, Stenhammar
L, Falth-Magnusson K, Magnusson KE. Division of Medical Microbiology, Dept.
of Molecular and Clinical Medicine,Faculty of Health Sciences, Linkoping
University, Sweden. [log in to unmask]

BACKGROUND: The use of oats in a gluten-free diet for children with
Celiac disease is presently under investigation. In this study we measured
the content of antibodies to oat prolamines (avenin) in sera from celiac
children and reference children. METHODS: Crude avenin was prepared by
extraction with ethanol and salt-solution and used as antigen in a three-
step ELISA. Sera from 81 children, including 34 children with verified
coeliac disease, were analysed for both IgA and IgG antibodies to avenin
and gliadin. Sera were also incubated with gliadin before exposure to
avenin, and vice versa, to assess a possible cross-reaction between the
species. Keyhole limpet hemocyanin (KLH) was used as a negative control.
RESULTS: Children with coeliac disease on a normal diet had significantly
higher levels of antibodies to avenin, both IgG and IgA, than reference
children (P < 0.001) and the levels correlated positively with gliadin
antibodies, especially of IgA-type (r = 0.798). Both anti-avenin and anti-
gliadin antibodies were only absorbed by the corresponding protein.
CONCLUSIONS: Children with coeliac disease have antibodies to oat proteins
at significantly higher levels than reference children. The absorption test
did not indicate a cross-reactivity between the prolamines of wheat and
oats. The method will be employed for repeated sampling of anti-avenin
antibodies during a prospective interventional study with a gluten-free
diet supplemented with oats.

--- Lindsay Amadeo <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

 Just checking to see what other parents have decided about Captain Crunch.
Contains oat flour but no other gluten containing ingredients.  The most
current research I have read about oats is that they do not damage the
intestine but only if the risk of cross-contamination in growing and
processing is eliminated.  Captain Crunch wouldn't make that grade.  I'm
only tempted because sugary kid's cereal that is vitamin fortified and
gluten free is so limited and the kids would love to choose something from
that tempting grocery aisle!  Appreciate hearing what you have decided on
this product.

* Support summarization of posts, reply to the SENDER not the Cel-Kids List *