CEL-KIDS Archives

CEL-KIDS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mark Diaz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Jul 1997 08:31:12 -0700

Hi, guys.

I'm Mark.  I'm 10, and haven't been diagnosed as celiac, but my allergy to
wheat and gluten must be what caused my stomach aches almost every time I
ate for the last couple of years.  Mom thought it was stress (she and Dad
got a divorce about a year ago), and got me a counselor, and while I really
like having someone private to talk to, it didn't stop my stomach aches.  In
April I got hay fever, hives, and trouble breathing, and my mom took me to
an allergist.  He asked if he should test me for food allergies, and she
said those fateful words 'you might as well'.

Three weeks later, Dr. Wilkerson sent a copy of the results.  The only foods
I was allergic to were wheat and gluten.  He suggested that I try a wheat
and gluten free diet for two weeks, and see how it affected me.  We didn't
right away, because my nose was better, and it's such a hastle.

My mom had four days off over July 4th, and decided that it was a good time
to start a wheat/gluten free trial.  We didn't have any idea what we were
getting into.  Thursday, July 3rd I had to have some fasting bloodwork done,
and as a treat, Mom took me to a new Bagel place.  I got less than 1/2 the
bagel in before my stomach hurt.  The rest of that day and the weekend, we
were wheat free - no belly aches!  Not one!

On Sunday I went to Costco, and asked the lady 'Does this pie have wheat in
it?' before I took the sample.  Remember I was only wheat free for three
days, I was with my dad, and I didn't know how to read labels yet (I'm
getting better at that really fast).  She said 'No" (I guess that she didn't
know that enriched flour is wheat).  I was rolling in the isles with stomach
pain before I could get out of the store, and hurt for three more hours.

Mom and Dad are really trying to learn about my allergy.  I'm pretty
depressed about the whole thing.  Mom's worried about school lunches in the
fall.  I'm more worried about sleepovers and birthday parties.

When the camp I was scheduled to attend found out about the allergy, they
said I couldn't come.  We had had access to the internet for more than a
year, but didn't use it very much, didn't really know how to use it.  Mom
spent some very late nights learning more, joined the Celiac group, because
we don't know that I don't have celiac disease, and my experiences and needs
will be very similar.  Anyway, she found one lady who told her that there
were no camps that she knew of for kids with special food needs, but that
Mom could ask the camp to reconsider in light of the Americans with
Disabilities Act.

Mom talked to the camp people again (and again) (and again).  They finally
agreed that they really could deal with my allergies (especially since my
Mom is sending along a cooler with my food for the camp cook).  The camp
cook was really nice.  She got a list from my mom of snacks and things I
could eat, and is just going to buy those for everyone, so that all the
chips, and granola bars etc, will be wheat/gluten free, and at least one
cereal is one I can eat.

Mom says I'm making this too long, and that not everyone will be interested
in my life story.  I'm really looking for some other kids that understand
not being able to eat what everyone else is to email with.

If this sounds like you, I'd really like to hear from you.

Mark Diaz <[log in to unmask]>