CEL-KIDS Archives

CEL-KIDS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Willingham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Nov 1999 14:37:26 -0800

Wow!  That was quick and efficient.  I got a lot of prompt replies,
including a "reprint" of the original GF ice cream cone posting that I had
misplaced.  Here, for everyone who asked for a summary, is what I learned:

* Several people mentioned Ener-G, with the observation that "they're
expensive."  Here's their website:
http://www2.digimktg.com/enrg/CatList-ProdsGroupsAll.tmpl?cart025073641996
56&Categoryekes%20and%20Cookies

* Here's the copy of the spring posting concerning ice cream cones:

"Excerpts from the replies I received in my search for GF ice cream
cones:

-Use Bette Hagman's graham cracker recipe to make ice cream sandwiches.

-Ener-G Foods' waffle cones are worth the price.

-The health food store by me sells ice cream in a rice cone in the frozen
food section.  Its called rice dream.   It is similar to the good humor
bars, and comes in a rice waffle cone.

-The Gluten Free Pantry has flat wafers that are just like the wafer of
an ice  cream cone.  They could be used to put ice cream ON, not in.

They're good.

-We make waffle cones out of Van's Waffles(the gluten free kind).  Just
kind of twist and put in the oven for a couple of minutes.

-I have made pizzelles and rolled them into ice-cream cone shapes. I
bought a pizzelle-maker, substituted gf flour in the recipe, and also
purchased a wooden "dowel" from the company to use to roll them.  It
works well!

-I take any gf dry cereal and make a 'rice crispie treats' type mixture -
I then use muffin tins to shape them (I have also shaped them over the
tops of wine bottles for a more 'cone like' shape).  My sister makes
meringue in muffin tins and uses that for my son (who is our celiac).

-One list member sent a recipe which I will post separately so that it
can be  in the recipe archives.  A second person believed she has a
recipe, but needs to hunt for it.  When I receive that recipe, I'll post
it to the list.

-And from me:
I just came across a recipe for fortune cookies that looks like it could
be easily converted to GF and might work for ice cream cones if the
cookies aren't too fragile.    The recipe is in the March 1999 issue of
Good Housekeeping magazine.  When I try it, I'll let you know how it
turned out.   If any of you try it first, please let us all know how it
worked out!

I also liked the pizzelle idea that one poster contributed.  I called a
gourmet kitchen store near me about pizzelle makers.  They have an
electric one for $46.95 and an old fashioned one that you heat on the
stove for $28.95.  They also have wooden cone forms for between $7 and
$15 depending on the size.  (The store is Sur La Table.  They have
stores in Seattle, WA, in Kirkland, WA and in San Francisco, CA.  They
also do mail order.  For a catalog, call 1-800-243-0852.)"

And finally, this one:

*Glutano g/f wafers.  They are not in a cone
shape though.  You have to put the icecream on them to
make a sandwich.  They taste like the real thing
though!

Hope this helps everyone else as much as it helped me!  And thank you very
much to all who replied.

Warmly,

Terri
 Chris' mom