CEL-KIDS Archives

CEL-KIDS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Cathy Frank <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cathy Frank <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Feb 2003 01:01:48 -0500

This was my first post and, boy, what a welcoming and warm group!
Thank-you!

Here is a summary of answers to my inquiry about anyone ever
waking up during the sedation for an edoscopy and advise about
general anethesia.

Many of the 40 respondees, said that they had came out of the Versed,
or their spouse or child did. Unfortunately, most described varying
degrees of trama.  One said that he thought it was neat and the next
time he decided to stay awake for the whole thing and view it on the
screen. Others awoke and really freaked out, tryed to pull out the
mouth guard, fought with the doctor and nurses. All agreed about how
tramatic this would be to a child.

Those with children, thank you for sharing your stories, it made me
feel like we weren’t the only ones to go through this.

The general feeling was that the drug causes distorted impressions,
mostly forgotten, but, to those who fully awoke-remembered. It was
stressed that drugs affect people in different ways. I asked my son
yesterday what he remembered and he didn’t have an answer, he kind
of looked off into space oddly. All of the things he had said were before
the drug wore off and then just “after impressions”. He was actually
more upset that the Dr. did not see Celiac. He wants to grow so badly
that he thought that this was his chance... the biopsy came back
positive. He is very thin and shorter than most kids his age. I really
hope, for his sake, he begins to grow.

The advise concerning general anethesia was about 10 people said
“don’t do it, too risky” and about 4 moms said they had one or more
children who did great with it. No bad personal accounts of general
anesthesia were reported. Other advise said to get an anesthetist and
find out about deep sedation vs. conscious sedation. Those who had
awful first time experiences did this, switched Drs. or got more of the
drug with success.

New questions, how fast do children heal and grow?
and because my daughter most likely has CD too, I was wondering
how does CD encourage weight gain, progressively large through the
middle and all over in some children and others go the opposite way.
There are four years between my kids and they weight the same. Any
thoughts?

Cathy

* Support summarization of posts, reply to the SENDER not the CEL-KIDS List *