CEL-KIDS Archives

CEL-KIDS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Peggy Forest <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Jul 2001 17:29:57 -0500

Hello Everyone-

My daughter, 5 1/2, was diagnosed with CD four months ago.  I am
concerned that she is not recovering as quickly as she should be.
My doctor tells me her slow progress is not unusual. I would like
to know if anyone else has had a similiar experience with a slow
recovery or ANY other advice that might come to mind.

Here is her story. Sick at age four with asthma and a skin scratch test
indicated an allergy to wheat and eggs. No apparent symptoms of CD at
this time. Taken off wheat and eggs. Asthma improved and skin scratch
test redone 11 months later, this test did not indicate any allergy so
she started eating wheat and eggs again. At this time she was 5 yrs and
39 lbs.  very quickly she became sick ie: tummy aches daily, occasional
vomiting, pale stools (no diarrhea ), lethargy and lastly a blood test
indicating anemia. Blood tests and biopsy that followed confirmed CD.
She was immediately put on GF and Dairy-free diet. First month went well
with increased energy and 2 LB weight gain and stools returned to normal
color.  Stomach aches still continued. Today we are now at the end of
four months of GF DF diet with daily tummy complaints and no more weight gain.

I Hope I have not missed some hidden gluten. I have double checked
all processed food with manufacturers. She is a very good eater and
eats alot of vegetables fruits and meat. Dr has allowed her yougurt
and cheese to help add calories. I spoke with Dr today and he
wants to have more blood work done to make sure there is no gluten
in diet.

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.