CEL-KIDS Archives

CEL-KIDS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Prajakta Ketkar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Aug 1998 09:46:03 -0400

Hi everybody,

I am the desperate mom whose son (2 yr old) was diagnosed with gluten
intolerance a few weeks back.  Thank you very much for all your support and
encouragement.

Now for last few weeks (two precisely) we had been trying to follow diet
rigidly.  His immediate reaction was very good, his stool was solid for four
days and then he had diarhea.  I stopped his lactaid for 24 hours, and he was
fine again for 3 more days.  Now yesterday again he had diarhea.

My questions is, is it normal to get diarhea in the begining even when you are
on gluten free diet.  What should we expect.  When would the diarhea stop.  Am I
giving him something that has gluten.  Mainly I am giving him homemade rice
based stuff, eggs, raisins, some gluten free cookies and cereal that I bou ght
from health food store.  I have received a shopping list from Tri County Celiac
Spruce Support Group.  Based on the shopping list I have given him

Plain M&M
Farley's Sucker
Campbell's Chicken Rice Soup
Heinz Ketchup

I am also giving him lactaid, since he loves milk and did not like soy milk.
Is it OK to give him lactaid. He is still using his aqua fresh tooth paste.

I would really appreciate if you could share with me your experieces and/or
give me some advise. Thank you very much.

Prajakta Ketkar