C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Deri James <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Aug 2004 22:57:41 +0100
Hello!!

Thank you for your enthusiastic response to my request for
participants in my study of adults with CP.

I suspect that some of you did not get the list of criteria
for participation so I am including it again - hopefully with
more success than on my last attempt.

If an individual wishes to participate, it will be his or her
responsibility provide their "snail mail" address in a PRIVATE
e-mail to [log in to unmask]

 Do not send this information to the C-PALSY list.

 I ask this specifically as I am charged with protecting your
confidenntiality and private e-mails from the begining are,I
feel, the best way to do this.

Criteria for participation in this study are as listed below.
An individual must meet all six criteria in order to be
considered for participation in the study.

        An individual must have cerebral palsy

        An individual must be at least 35 years of age. There is no
upper limit on age.

        An individual must be able to travel to the Main Campus of
Temple University on two occasions in order to participate in
two (2) interviews that will take 2 to 2 ½ hours on each
occasion. Alternatively, you may participate in the interviews
by phone, e-mail, IM or some combination thereof.

HOWEVER, Please note that I am reqquired to do about half of
the interviews face-to face according to the terms under which
my proposal was approved.

A third, optional interview may be held if mutaully agreed
apon. If a third interview is held, you will be paid $20.00
for that one as well.

        An individual must be able to respond to open-ended interview
questions using either natural speech or an augmented
communication device. Dysarthric speech patterns will not
automatically disqualify an individual, but individuals with
significant dysarthria will be asked to contact me so that we
can determine appropriate compensatory strategies prior to
commencing interviews. Proxy informants will not be utilized.
(In other words, someone else will not be able to respond for
you.)

An individual must reside in the community. That is, not in an
institution or a nursing home.

you must have a stable work or vulunteer role or have retired
from such a role in the last 5 years.

There are specific factors that will preclude an individual’s
participation in this study.

The individual does not have CP.

The individual is not at least 35 years of age.

The individual resides in an institution or a nursing home.

The individula does not have a stable work or volunteer role
or has not retired from such a role.

The individual is not a U.S. citizen. (Sorry!!!).
The resons for this are as follows:
1. The University IRB Committee has approved a national, not
an international, study.
2. Some of the interview questions have to do with the use of
disability-specific services and supports and access to heath
care.

Given that American versuss European and Canadian Social
systems vary gratly as regaurds these issues, including
international repondents would complicate things immessurably.

Howerever, I am happy to do 2 things.

Provide a summary of my findings to members of the C-PALSY List.

Conduct an international stdy (with appropriate funding and
other supports) AFTER I finish my Dissertation.

Hope this clarifies some things,

Bonnie