C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sun, 21 Apr 2002 14:42:15 -0700
Dear Jen,
You know I've always been supportive in your quest to
improve yourself and for pain relief and I sincerely
applaude your efforts in self advocacy. All the same
you are not going to like what I'm going to say. I
agree with Bobby that you shouldn't persue more
contact with the Londaon team about the BPump. When
you were accepted for the intial trial it was for pain
relief due to increase spasticity. This is what the
double blind study was set up for. The itial trial
before the double blind study was also a small amount(
probley the same as the dbl blind) and it did indeed
give you some relief. The dystonia was never part of
the equation in the  orginal Bpump evaluation. I do
believe it was orginally thought the pain was the
pisform(sp) nerve. You found out about the dystonia in
a very round about way and through a  letter that
wasn't  meant for you. I'm not sure the London team
got the letter either and the first they may have
heard of dystonia was from you after you read the
letter. Because you read the letter does not mean the
London team was suddlenly going to change the trial to
treat dystonia rather than spasticity. It was set up
to see if you would get relief from the spasticity
only. I'm sure it would be music to your ears to hear
London say they were wrong but it won't happen because
they did what they said they would do, test to see  of
the bacoflen would reduce spasticity. I really think
you've burned that bridge. You seem to have a pain
clinic team very much in your corner and willing to
work with you and it may indeed include a pump for
pain relief. Stay with them and work with them. Don't
burn that bridge as well by doc shopping.
Joanne