C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Fri, 12 May 2000 21:42:20 -0700
Sorry for any cross posting.

Well, as I said in an earlier response, Zachary got his DAFOs yesterday.  We went out and bought a cheap pair of shoes until we can go to the factory outlet store and buy some Converse.  He normal wears a 71/2 but I had to end up getting a size 10.  Boy does he have fat feet...lol.
Well anyway, the PT who brought them out kind of shocked me.  She said that we got these just about in the nick of time, his feet and legs are starting to turn spastic.  Is that possible in a short period of time?  I mean for a child who has generalized hypotonia to turn spastic that quickly (in under a year).  His lower leg muscles, the ones in the back, are so bulging he looks like he lifts weights.  He still has some play in his feet but it is very tight.
Second question of the day.  Tonight, after the first full day of wearing them, I took his DAFOs off and when he first went to walk he seemed to be having trouble.  Is this common for children, he fought me taking them off.  His OT did say sometimes children who have SID like him, fight the first time you put them on, but then they do not want to ever take them off.  She says it gives them constant feedback through their feet which they don't get otherwise.
All I know is he seems to be more confident in walking, in fact he wanted to walk today more than he ever did before.
One draw back I am noticing is his left foot come down in an angle, maybe that will correct in time as well.
Thanks for any input.
Deborah mom of 4