C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"I. STEPHEN MARGOLIS" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Nov 1999 02:29:56 -0500
I am not going to defend ADAPT's actions, per se.  I am not a member, do not
intend to be, have no role with them.  I forward their posts to this group
because I receive them, find them interesting, usually informative, and
expect people in this group are sufficiently capable of finding their delete
button or otherwise able to make up their brilliant minds about what they
read.

I dislike what I see as a trend toward slander and a rush to judgment and
opinions absent facts.  Kyle expressed his observations, ADAPT theirs.  I am
glad Kyle can distinguish sleet from snow and knows the names of buildings
in Cleveland.  In the melee, confusion, and time lags between events and
reports it seems reasonable that inaccuracies occurred in what ADAPT
reported.  Did ADAPT intentionally propagandize, who knows really?, probably
they did.

I like Kyle.  He knows that.  I admire his intelligence and his writings.  I
surely don't always agree with him.  I wonder if he got the rest of his day
off when he couldn't get into his workplace?  I don't suppose he joined the
demonstration?  What I'm teasing about is that Kyle's report was slanted by
his point of view.  We know him and like him so we side with him.

Now if ADAPT is using lies and propaganda I don't think that hurts the
disability movement, that hurts ADAPT and undermines their credibility.  We
here can decide for ourselves the merits of their statements.  In that sense
we are fortunate that Kyle was present, as he claims, and gave us an
alternative view.

I don't usually like ADAPT'S methods or agree with their positions.  But I
give them credit for acting on their principles and beliefs.  They do
advocate for the most neglected and abused of us.  They put their disabled
bodies on the line while others of us watch.  They might look at us and say
"Talk is cheap."  They may think we're privileged, snobs, or cowards for not
being with them.  (I think we're sensible for not wanting to get hurt.)

Now I believe each of us serves the cause of advocacy and many are the ways
to get results.  I also believe there are many levels of truth and motives
behind human actions and words.  I also believe that people can be sinister,
nasty, and petty; hide maliciousness behind smiles, hurt instead of heal,
punish where they can't persuade.

I am glad to see Betty kept her word and got to the Fair Housing Hearing.  I
am looking forward to a substantive report.

Steve M.