C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Wed, 31 Oct 2001 08:07:20 EST
John James Audubon made a fine career of shooting birds, but optics available
at the time did not lend themselves to critical examination of detail.
Birding in hand made it possible for Audubon to leave a legacy yet
unparalleled in the artistic expression of avian species (in my opinion).

I can't remember who it was though, who said that the last passenger pigeon
he ever saw was one that he shot.

As for me, I would have appreciated the opportunity to see the carolina
parakeet.

I'm sorry, I'm just so passionate.  I appreciate rite of passage traditions
too.  Rough conflict...

In a message dated 10/30/2001 4:26:58 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> Betty,
>
>      As a boy growing in the rural South, most of us had BB guns, or pellet
>  air
>  rifles and some, like my brother and I, had real firearms. Mith "weapon of
>  choice" though was my trusty Red Ryder lever action Daisy BB gun. Now other
>  than glass bottles, the other prime targets are birds, or "birdies" as you
>  state. My favorite Target was "Mockers" because they were so mean. This is
>  regardless of the fact Mocking Bird was the Texas state bird and it was
>  against state law to shoot them, a minor fact we gave little regard. Wjat I
>  guess I am saying is shooting birds with BB guns was a rite of passage in
> the
>  South. Besides, have your ever tried to kill a mocker with a Red Ryder. You
>  have to be damn good!! Especially if your spastic CP!!!
>
>  Bobby
>
>  >I meant this with regard to your desire to shoot the little birdies,
that's
>  >all.  I certainly wouldn't want to see you hurt Kyle.  I might be given
>  >wonder, from time to time, just how big your ears actually are, but I'd
>  >never
>  >want to see you hurt.

Betty
aut viam inveniam aut faciam