C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Trisha Cummings <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Feb 2000 14:24:40 -0500
Hi All,

    Yes, I agree on the boundaries. I began boundaries with Amber at a very
young age. I never had to kid proff the house. By the time she walked - she
had a handle on who had owner ship of what and she was only allowed to touch
and play with Amber things. I had only  to identify an objects owner and the
little hand would draw back. Now, intense curiousty of an object - was a
momy will hold it and you may touch gently - worked.  I also gave her
freedom - like Deri's mom did - I would put out in the fenced in yard and
keep a sharp eye on her but let her try her wings - I would look the other
direction when she did the areial stuff n her swing set. Yup, listened for
the thud. Heard a few. Never serious - she didn't even cry. I believe if you
begin things early enough and they become routine to the child - its saves
wear and tear on the nerves later. I can basically arch my brow and Amber -
mumbles and toes the line. Also I always found making her laugh worked - she
said no - and I made a very incrdeulous face and said  NO, no  -- now just
what part-of no do I not understand - is it the part where you are refusing
to do what I ask?  or I make horrible funny faces till she does what I
want - use that to rearrange her attitudes too.  Amber likes being my kid -
says so often. Sooooooooo glad she doesn't have a mean Mom like........

                                    Brightest Blessings
                                         Trisha