C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Salkin Kathleen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Salkin Kathleen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Apr 2002 06:27:34 -0500
>I guess somebody will call this Munchausen's, but I prefer the term sleezy
>opportunist.

Actually no, that's not Munchausen's, at least not yet, I think. She sounds
like she's  mentally-ill, but I don't think that'd be it.  From what you're
saying, I'd hazard a guess that she's genuinely disabled --mentally-ill --
and desperately needs someone to be friends with.  I also think I detect a
bit of guilt for how she feels about her severely-disabled sister.

All of which does not mean you have to be friends with her.  You don't need
to let her impose on you or use you for her purposes.  I once had a similiar
situation and had to frankly tell the other person please not to contact me
or come around any more.  She created a scene, very embarrassing for me, but
it worked.

Kat