C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Salkin Kathleen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Sep 2002 08:43:19 -0400
Well, to me if I'd been labelled a  CP all my life and suddenly my neuro
told me I had dystonia, I'd be rather confused, I'm sure.  I did ask my
neuro about it a while back, and he told me it's an area of change in the
specialty.  Paradigms are being shifted and the consequences are trickling
down (his words, not mine).  However he did say, in the end it's all the
same, just that  it's a matter of labelling, in his opinion.

Another disabled person (post-polio syndrome) and I were talking about this
re-labelling shift not too long ago, and it's his opinion that maybe parents
are wanting to get away from the CP label and latch onto something else that
seems less negative to them.  Not sure I agree with this, as I don't see
anything negative about CP.  But I'm a CP, and not an AB parent, and anyway
he sees things like this as more 'us vs. them' than I do.

Kat