C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Fri, 12 May 2000 20:42:56 -0400
Interesting question... I think I'd be more confused than angry or upset.
We've always had a very open and close relationship, and my parents trust me
without any reservation.  I've earned that trust, and haven't done anything
to abuse it.  The times in my life that I've been most upset have been not
when my parents were angry, but when they were disappointed.  I feel like
it's my responsibility to live up to their opinion of me, and be the kind of
responsible person that they think I am.  That doesn't really answer your
question though, does it?

I guess I'd question why they were so concerned by a mention of anal and
oral sex.  The post wasn't explicit.  It's not like I was being
propositioned, or propositioning someone else.  I've read more graphic
descriptions of sex in my bio and human development books.  But, if they
were really uncomfortable with the content on this list, I'd have to go with
their judgment.  Just like they have no reason to doubt my judgment, I have
no reason to doubt theirs.  They've never pulled the "I'm your parent and I
know what's best for you" card unless it was really important, so on the
rare occasions that they do, I go with it.

Does that make any sense?  I know the relationships that we have are very
unusual.  I think part of it is being an only child, and part is that
because of my disability, we spend a lot of time together.  My family is
very close-knit as a result, and we tend to be very open with concerns like
this.  If you want to know more, just ask.  I'm happy to discuss this
further, but I think I'm rambling!

~Joy~
http://www.geocities.com/joy0823
"Forget regrets, or life is yours to miss." - Mimi in RENT