C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Kyle E. Cleveland" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Sep 1999 09:42:01 -0400
Yeah, at least until the thread cleans out.

On a lighter note, I have a funny story to relate to y'all:

My neighbor, a building contractor, stopped me as I was getting out of my
car Friday and said that he had some ideas about re-landscaping my front
yard (we're trying to sell the place and he was looking for ways to improve
the "curb appeal").  He pointed out several shrubs that should be moved,
suggested new beds be placed here and there and indicated that the grade in
the yard needed to be "improved", slightly.  I noticed that Gary had been
drinking, but Gary's always drinking, and since he was still vertical I
figured he was still in possession of some sense.  Wrong-O!

As the family was eating supper, I heard Gary's backhoe fire up.  Since he's
replacing his own driveway, I assumed he was working on that.

(Can you see where this is going?)

After 20 minutes or so, I noticed that the backhoe had gotten loud.  Too
damn loud.  I raced to the front door and discovered, to my horror, that,
yes, Gary had taken it upon himself to start work post-haste and had ripped
out every shrub, tree and plant (including lawn) within 20 feet of the
house.

I didn't feel safe approaching him while he was on the heavy equipment, so
when he finally "shut 'er down" (after 2 hours) I asked him what the hell he
thought he was doing?  He replied, "Landscaping", and immediately fell sound
asleep on my porch glider.  A sleep from which he was unable to be aroused.
He went home sometime during the night and came over early the next morning
and asked at the door, "Hey, Cleveland, who f----d up your yard?  What a
mess!  I can fix it for you, if you want?"  He really didn't remember a
thing!  When I told him that he was himself the culprit, he thought it quite
funny and said, "Wow!  Budweisers and backhoes really DON'T mix, do they?"

Sober, the man is a landscaping genius and he rebuilt my entire yard
(exquisitely) in one weekend.  I'm still trying to figure out whether to be
angry or grateful.