C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Bill K Ach <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Nov 2001 14:38:11 EST
Impaired equilibrium has ever beset me as a CP with considerable
spasticity.  However, my wife - also cerebral palsied - and I have been
on a massage therapy program for nearly three years.  Our therapist, who
is board-certified and an LPN, visits us each week and performs a
thorough massage, literally from head to toe.  We have noticed, my wife
Robin and I, a vastly improved sense of balance, increased range of
motion, improved bladder control and overall stamina, to say nothing of a
markedly heightened energy level.  I, who am nearly 70 years old, feel as
energetic as I did 35 to 40 years ago.

We have found massage therapy to be highly beneficial in terms of our
overall sense of well-being.  Our therapist was a former trauma nurse,
then later served at Hospice and has worked with neurologically-impaired
patients.  Robin has her body work on Tuesdays, I on Fridays  I can't
recall a day since we started this program in late January 1999 of having
thought: ''My get up and go has got up and left!''  We highly recommend
weekly massage therapy.

Additionally, I have noticed decreased incidence of impaired start
reflexes.  I have on many occasions  jumped at sudden loud noises, but
this tendency over time has noticeably decreased.  Robin, who also has a
seizure condition as part of her cerebral palsy, has not had an episode
since we started this program.

Consider massage therapy.  Whether insurance would cover the cost may
depend upon doctor-determined medical necessity and coverage provided by
various health insurance programs.  Our therapist is far more concerned
in helping her patients achieve a meaningful quality of life than with
making money.   Massage therapy is worth investigating.

Robin and Bill

On Tue, 27 Nov 2001 09:31:26 EST "Bobby G. Greer, Ph. D."
<[log in to unmask]> writes:
>In a message dated 11/27/01 5:17:05 AM, [log in to unmask] writes:
>
>>Have you thought of getting a cell
>>phone?
>
>You can also have built in "help" messages also.
>
>Bobby

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.