C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"BG Greer, PhD" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Jan 2003 14:44:30 EST
In a message dated 1/10/2003 12:59:25 PM Central Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> Bobby,
>
> This might be enough to make you mad!

Thanks, Kendall. For some reason, it doesn't make me mad. Rehab literature is
similar to Kris Kristopherson's song, "Let's get together and steal each
others' songs". We all steal ideas. The one gripe I have with Smart is she is
sloppy in places and skews facts to fit her premises. I spent one summer in
the library researching the Oxford English Dictionary for the origins of
risabilty related terms and another summer in the law library researching
laws and court cases. She reduces all this to a sentence or two and they are
not accurate. For example. the term "handicap" , she interpets as begging,
"cap in hand", which is opposite to the structure of the word. The
interpretation I quoted from the OED said the term drived from placing odds
on race horses. Some one would write the odds and placed them in a cap and
held it high, so the bettor could not see the slips as he was picking his
slip, thus hand in cp, translated in this context as odds place on a superior
creature to make it more equal! Sorta different from Professor Smart's
version!! In her sectionon law, she does similar stuff.

Bobby