C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Yvonne Craig <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 May 2000 14:15:51 -0400
Joy,

As long as even a part of one ovary is present and functioning, the secondary sex characteristics will develop.

Yvonne

>>> [log in to unmask] 05/30/00 08:54AM >>>
In a girl, The last pair of Chromosones should be XX. Turners is X.   But
Sarah on Amnio had XXX, X. When born was found to be XXX., XX, & X. (thus
Mosaic)  It can show up as webbed fingers & toes..sometimes a webbed
neck-others just a very short neck. Ovaries are present at birth, but
usually disappear in time (Sarah has 1 left)  They may have horseshoe
shapped Kidney, Heart valves Bivalve instead of trivalves (she was found at
age 10 to have that part ) a 2-3% decrease in expected IQ-usually in Math &
Spatial relationships.Also they are very short--usually less than 5 feet &
may require growth hormones.

It occurs as a mismultiplication of cells in the first 12 days after
conception.....since it is so early, it may have other defects present. In
some cases it is not discovered till as a teen puberty doesn't progress, or
infertility is present in women trying to concieve.

Now that you all have too much info you know what Turners is....Joy