C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Betty Alfred <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 May 2000 23:27:12 EDT
Are you serious about a birding visit?  If so, I will definitely consider it.
 We could have a great birding adventure!  Maybe next year I can plan a
driving trip down the East coast, take my sweet time, and just bird the whole
way.  I've never had the time to do anything like that in my whole life.

I keep assuming I'll be able to do these things in the future, not even
knowing how my disability is going to progress, but I'm sure not going to
assume the worst.

I went birding with a guy in California last year.  He has osteogenesis
imperfecta and uses a wheelchair.  This guy has been all over the world and
has over 5,000 birds on his life list.  Can you even believe that?  Over
5,000!  I hooked up with him through the San Diego Museum of Natural History
when I called them to ask if they knew about accessible birding spots.  They
gave me his number and before I knew it, he planned a whole birding day for
us.  He really laid the red carpet out for me and I never met this guy before
in my life.  We went everywhere from SD to La Jolla that day.  I was totally
wiped by the end of the day -- it was great!  I went to the Tijuana Estuary
and a couple of other places on my own that week. But if it hadn't been for
him, I would have wasted a lot of time trying to figure out the best places
to go and I wouldn't have seen nearly as many birds.

In a message dated 05/04/2000 9:15:07 PM Eastern Daylight Time,