C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
JOHN RUNER <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Jul 2009 13:07:54 -0600
Hello,

Here is Mary's (9 RH) neuropshych eval summary.

Dr. Nilsson states "He would like a physician to try Mary on low dose
antidepressants, for her extreme anxiety". He also feels Mary is
"capable of a great deal, but needs more structure and direction then the
school is providing".   He feels that Mary has a lot of trouble
conceptualizing and organizing information.  He also noted her limited eye
contact and difficulty in use of right hand and heavy right gait consistent
with her RH.  He also noted she became "mentally fatigued" after
reading for a short period of time.  Academic scores are poor due to
difficulty sustaining attention.  It is imperative that she receives adaptive
support in order to succeed academically and even socially.  Typical reading
will be limited in functional use and computerized and other audio visual aids
should be available to increase her leering opportunities "as she depends
heavily on visual/verbal communication and repetition to learn.   In
addition she should be offered a lot of "hands on" learning.
Overall intelligence is very low average.  However Mary,s creative
artistic intelligence is above average.

 "The school
should use this report to better accommodate Mary's needs and I am willing to conference
call to advocate for Mary at any time."   Mary has a history of
stroke causing RH failure to thrive, fatigue and social anxiety can be partially
mitigated with a more structured and flexible school day that takes her considerable
health issue under advisement.  Overall Mary
is rated at 1.5 grade level for function (although this is with extreme effort
and great use of time to achieve academic proficiency).   Mary is now a 3rd grader with
adjusted academic requirements.  I hope
this year they will amend the IEP as I requested last school year and was
denied!

This is my short summation of Dr. Nilsson's very detailed report.  Any
suggestions or comments are welcome. Based on the schools uncooperative mood
last year i will at most only ask for speech and OT through my school
district.  They seemed to of kind of traumatized her by pushing to hard to
put her in their mold or completely isolate her.

Thanks,

John Runer

Windows Live™ Photos: it's easy to store and manage your photos online. See how.
http://windowslive.com/Online/Photos?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_CS_PH_store_manage_072009