C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Peter Hunsberger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 May 2008 12:22:49 -0500
The debate is actually very interesting and not as straight forward as
one might wish. I've been following it for a year or so since he was
written up in Scientific American; he uses custom built carbon fiber
"leaf springs" to run with that really have no relationship to how the
human leg works (think something more like a cheetah) which is why
some people have been trying to keep him out.  If he wins in any way
people might make the argument that such prosthetics are actually
"enhancements"? That opens up a big can of worms, after all,
performance enhancing drugs are banned....  I think you almost have to
have "modified" and "unmodified" categories in the Olympics at that
point (hey, talk about a politically correct term, it's not disabled,
its "modified".)

--
Peter Hunsberger