C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Tue, 3 Jul 2007 14:41:17 -0600
FYI;

Deri, could you shed some light on whether Church of England schools
are required to meet the same accessibility standards as non Church
schools?

Parents: Boy Faced Exclusion From Neighborhood Church School
June 25, 2007

LONDON, ENGLAND--The following six paragraphs are excerpts from a
story in the Telegraph:
'What's wrong with him?" is the question usually asked when someone
encounters our family for the first time.

The answer is that Samuel came into the world with a two-inch hole in
his back - for which the medical term is spina bifida.

He also has hydrocephalus, a build up of fluid in his skull, so what
some take for granted in a child's development, such as short-term
memory and empathy, can be a struggle. He has some cerebral palsy,
which makes it hard for him to hold things in his right hand.

We don't often get to explain that Samuel, who is almost five, has
excelled at his nursery - beyond the average for his peers in both
numeracy and literacy.

Samuel, of course, does have special needs. And a familiar,
consistent, and secure environment is crucial for his cognitive
development - more than for most other children.

Until recently, we thought we had found that environment in the form
of our local Church of England school.

Entire article:

"Inclusion? Not in Samuel's case" (The Telegraph)

http://www.inclusiondaily.com/news/07/red/0626e.htm

http://tinyurl.com/2folok

Kendall Corbett
Coordinator of Consumer Activities
Wyoming INstitute for Disabilities - WIND
College of Health Sciences
University of Wyoming
1000 E. University Avenue, Dept. 4298
Laramie, WY 82070