C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Yvonne Craig <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 May 2000 09:48:28 -0400
Hi, McKinlays! Welcome !

Our son Anthony is diagnosed with Spastic quad CP but I think he is more a double hemi too. His arms are more affected than his legs and his trunk and head control are good (most of the time). He just turned 3. He uses a Pony walker and can maneuver fairly well but still has trouble backing up. We will need to get him a power chair by the time he goes to school. He is verbal but almost a year delayed in his speech - has about a 60+ word vocabulary and is just starting to string words together. He is very bright and personable, a flirt with a great sense of humour. He is one of 2 surviving triplets. Our other son Bobby is NDA but very bright. He never spoke until he was 23 months old but now he knows his alphabet (upper and lower case letters), can count to 29, count backwards from 10, and is starting to read some small words. It is difficult when each child is at such a different developmental stage (especially when they are born 2 minutes apart, lol.

Yvonne
Mommy to 3 year old triplets: Robert (NDA), Anthony (CP), and our angel Joseph {April 14/97-Dec.31/98} Ottawa, Canada

>>> [log in to unmask] 05/04/00 07:39PM >>>
We have a 5 year old daughter with athetoid CP. She has bilaterial
hemiplegia - not a common diagnosis but it is the best way to describe her
condition. She has more control with her legs than her arms but is affected
on both sides of her body. She uses a wheelchair - not self propelled - has
a standing frame and we were using a mulholland walkabout walker but it is
not working well for her any more. Speech is difficult with only a few
words being understandable to people who don't know her. Her understanding
and intelligence are above average for her age. On the whole she is a very
happy outgoing child who doesn't seem to begrudge others who are
ablebodied. She attends school 6 hours a day five days a week with the
assistance of her teacher aides and loves it!  Her school is small - only
120 children - but everyone is really welcoming and the children love being
with her. I am really keen to make contact with other families who have a
child with CP especially those who have other children. We also have a 2
year old ablebodied daughter. Any contact would be most appreciated.