C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Meir Weiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Jun 2010 15:26:35 -0400
From: Cerebrum [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Monday, June 14, 2010 3:20 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Cerebrum: The Dana Forum on Brain Science - June 2010

Cerebrum: The Dana Forum on Brain Science
June 2010

Dear Cerebrum Reader,
A new article and a new book review are now available.

Uncovering Awareness: Medical and Ethical Challenges in Diagnosing and Treating the Minimally Conscious State
By Marie-Aurelie Bruno and Steven Laureys, M.D., Ph.D.

Eight years ago, an interdisciplinary group of scientists representing several institutions worked together to codify criteria for the minimally conscious state. Today, technology, such as functional neuroimaging, is beginning to change the way medical professionals diagnose, treat, and communicate with patients once considered to have no or very little conscious awareness.
Please also read a commentary on this article by Nicholas D. Schiff, M.D., and Jerome B. Posner, M.D.

BOOK REVIEW

The Emperor's New Drugs
By Irving Kirsch, Ph.D.
Basic Books, 2010

Reviewed by Floyd E. Bloom, M.D.

Dr. Floyd Bloom takes apart Dr. Irving Kirch's arguments as to why antidepressants are ineffective, using decades of biomedical literature to explore just how effective antidepressants are for a large number of depression sufferers.

What Are Your Favorite Books About the Brain?
We are gathering a list of the best neuroscience books for general readers, to publish later this year in Cerebrum. Please help us out by taking our quick survey. You can name just one book, or as many at ten. We won't collect your name or e-mail; we just want your opinion.

Now Available: The Temperamental Thread
In The Temperamental Thread: How Genes, Culture, and Luck Make Us Who We Are, pioneering developmental psychologist Jerome Kagan, Ph.D., enriches our understanding of how and why personalities form as they do, giving readers the opportunity to explore how personality types inform their lives and the lives of others.

Cerebrum - Opinion on brain science that can change your mind
212-223-4040
http://www.dana.org/news/cerebrum/

Update Your Profile, Subscriptions, or E-mail Address
Unsubscribe instantly by sending an e-mail to: [log in to unmask]
To change your e-mail address go to: www.dana.org/membership/profile.aspx
Privacy Policy
The Dana Foundation | 745 Fifth Avenue, Suite 900 | New York | NY | 10151

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5196 (20100614) __________

http://www.eset.com