C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Mon, 8 Dec 2003 13:38:19 -0700
Ken,

While someone might sue the brace maker(s) over something like this, I'd
hope that they'd be smart enough to caution the users about this.  I
wear an AFO on my left ankle for when I walk that I'd never wear with my
Velcro tennis shoes, but wear fairly frequently with my lace up hiking
boots.  I'd walk out of it in 2 minutes in my tennies.

Tying the boots was a trick that took me years to learn (I use my teeth
and my right hand to do it).  The speed laces on the boots are great,
because then I don't have to worry about eyelets, and threading.  The
only thing that ever concerned me was if I ever had to teach a kid how
to tie shoes.  They'd get either laughed out of kindergarten, or be the
coolest kid in class.

If someone with CP sued because they tripped over untied shoelaces, or
using a Velcro shoe in a situation where it was inappropriate, I hope
they'd get laughed out of court as fast (or faster, since they've lived
with the disability and should have learned) as an AB who brought a
similar suit.

Kendall Corbett