C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Cindy Mallory <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Nov 2001 06:50:24 EST
In a message dated 11/8/01 10:17:36 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< Ok I my be missing the boat here but why are you going
 to the doctors for spasticity if you aren't willing to
 do anything about it. The doc is going to offer you
 drugs,surgery or therapy( maybe all three) to deal
 with the spasticty? >>
My son already had surgery via Dr. Nuzzo with great results and my son
continues to do horseback riding. However, we take my son for periodic check
ups at CP clinics to gather information and watch his spine, as well as catch
any issues from his hypotonia. But some doctors want to try to fix issues
with a lot of intervention when it is not a problem. Two ortho surgeons at 2
different hopitals suggested a Balofen pump for my son and he's low tone
which occassional spasticity in the legs. The results would have been
terrible because the baclofen would also create a looser trunk which is
already too hypotonia. We don't go back to doctors we feel are nuts or trying
to make a buck. The real killer was the doctor who insisted my son needed
bilateral osteotomies, so I took my son back after Dr. Nuzzo's laser surgery
on hamstring legthenings and the doctor still insisted he needed osteotomies
even though his gait was great. That's a quack for you! That clinic had
followed my son for over 7 years and I'll never go back because their care
was terrible: I was the one who asked for xrays and the doc would never order
the right view to prove my son's leg bones were fine, but Dr. Nuzzo got
several xrays and I never had to ask and they showed exactly what I was
trying to see. So it's okay to get opinions, but stay alert and take
everything with a grain of salt, then make your own educated judgements.
      Cindy