C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Meir Weiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Feb 2010 11:39:31 -0500
From: Chabad.org [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Monday, February 15, 2010 11:01
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: VOICES: An Inside Perspective

  Voices

Adar 1, 5770 · February 15, 2010
An Inside Perspective
Print this Page

By Chaya Chein
I had once volunteered for Friendship Circle while spending a weekend in Ohio, and I really enjoyed it. So in 2003, when Friendship Circle opened a branch in my community, I was excited to join.
I was an active volunteer, visiting my special friend once a week, and participated in all programs. Each visit left me feeling fulfilled; I was helping someone special, and simultaneously learning so much from my new friend. I never really gave much thought to her day-to-day life, how she coped and adapted; this was something removed from my personal life. After all, she was not my relative, so I was just being helpful, for one hour a week, to someone who needed a friend.
Three years later, my perspective changed. In December 2006, my youngest brother, Boruch Shneur, was born. Boruch Shneur is blessed with Down Syndrome. I know that seems like an oxymoron. To me, it seemed like that too. Initially I was shocked beyond belief. Being a Friendship Circle volunteer before my brother was born gave me an opportunity to view life from a different perspective. But, although I was involved in Friendship Circle, I maintained an outsider's view. It was something that happened to other people, not to me and my "normal" family. It took me a while to find the blessing in it, but with support, understanding and empathy from my parents and some friends, and after reading various articles related to Down Syndrome, I began seeing how having Boruch Shneur in my family is truly a blessing and a part of Gd's perfect master plan.
One particular analogy in the context of challenges, suffering and pain had a real impact on me. As told by a friend, life is a tapestry, woven by a master weaver or artist. If one looks at the tapestry from behind, all you see are knots and random threads. But if you look at it from the front, you see a beautiful picture. Gd is the Master Weaver. The world, and everything that happens in this world, is the tapestry. Now we only see the tapestry from the back; there are things we don't understand and seem so complicated. But I know that when Moshiach will arrive, we will see the tapestry from the front. A beautiful picture awaits us, and we will see how everything Gd did, the good and the seemingly not good, were all part of His master plan to make this world complete.

Print this Page   |   Post A Comment

By Chaya Chein    More articles...  |
Chaya Chein was born in April 1990 in Brooklyn, NY. She graduated Bais Rivkah High School and studied abroad in a Jerusalem seminary. She has been a Friendship Circle volunteer since 2003 and continues to volunteer for Friendship Circle and Chai Lifeline, an organization that helps terminally ill children.

Click here to dedicate an email

Follow Us:

Featured Judaica:
Megillat Esther
New Translation & Selected Insights
This bi-lingual Hebrew / English edition of the Book of Esther offers a new, lucid translation, with selected commentary culled from the Midrash, Talmud, Kabbala, Chasidism and other rabbinic writings. Included also are numerous insights by the Rebbe, providing the reader with a renewed appreciation of the timeless relevance of the ancient Megillah. (38 Pages)
Price: Now Only $3.60
BUY NOW

More from chabad.org
• Society & Living
• Lifecycles
• Daily Life
• Jewish Holidays
• Ideas & Beliefs
• Spirituality
• Parshah
• Audio Classes
• Video
• Women
• News
• Kids
• Calendar
• Daily Study
• Find A Center
• Donate
• Ask the Rabbi
• Contact Us
• Subscribe

Going on vacation?
Unsubscribe
Your subscribed email address is: [log in to unmask]
Change email address.

Important Tip:
To guarantee that your subscription emails continue to be delivered to you, please add [log in to unmask] to your address book, or "whitelist" it in any filters or antispam programs you may have.
© Copyright 2010 by Chabad.org, all rights reserved.   Privacy Policy

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4868 (20100215) __________

http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4869 (20100215) __________

http://www.eset.com