C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Bill Hyatt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Nov 2001 16:02:29 -0800
  Linda Wagner <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Rayna,

I hate falling over because of the reaction from others. My mom always
would get so upset as I was growing up, too. She was just afraid I would
seriously hurt myself. Now, as an adult, if I fall I look around a PRAY no
one saw me! My best friend from high school explains falling the best. She
tells people that are meeting me for the first time, "If you are walking
along and all of a sudden Linda isn't next to you anymore, look behind you.
If she is on the ground laughing, all is fine. Just keep walking and she
will catch up. If she isn't saying anything, go help her." We laugh about
it of course, but it really is true and has put many folks at ease around
me. But you are right, that stigma that only a child should fall down is
there.

Linda

When I was younger and still walking with crutches and would fall invariably people would come rushing over to help me get back up.  This wasn't too bad except for those times when I had the wind knocked out of me and wanted nothing more than to lay there for a while but being out of wind, I couldn't tell them that so they proceded to help me up only to have me fall over again.  A truly vicious cycle.

Bill Hyatt
"I live in my own little world, but it's OK, they know me here."