C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Wed, 28 Nov 2001 01:18:00 EST
Hi,

We CP'ers are at a higher risk for osteoporosis and arthritis than the
general population because we are not as mobile as TAB's are. Those of us who
are not able to bear weight, run the risk of thinning bones much sooner than
those who do. Bearing weight and being active in doing various types of
exercise like walking helps our bones build density.

Having abnormal muscle tone in general means that we use our bodies in ways
that the TAB's don't and with all of the stories of people being in their
30's and 40's and having HUGE problems with decrease in ability to be mobile,
and increase pain and using meds to help us deal with pain, this may be
another reason why we are facing these problems earlier than the general
population as well.

There's also speculation that spending time in casts and not weight bearing
also affects us years later by having bones that are much more porous than
the average person which leads to early arthritis and other problems. Another
possibility could be because where we did have surgery leads to less
circulation in those areas because of damage to the muscles from the surgery
and lengthenings, transfers and bone derotations. On the other hand, there
are those that do not have their dislocated hips done and they don't have
sockets after a while. Again this is because they don't bear weight and they
don't form properly in the first place.

So a number of possible factors are at work here. I did ask to go for one of
these bone density tests earlier this year, but have to do it through my
regular family practice doctor as opposed to the ortho. So one of these days,

Hope this helps,

Dina