C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Wed, 3 Dec 2008 19:30:45 EST

We are always circulating around via email “feel good” stories  that touch
our hearts.  This one  actually happened to me yesterday, and I thought that
those I am sharing it with  will understand what it means...
After finishing dinner with Allen and Brandon, it was just B and I  left
sitting at the kitchen table.  I was so tired (after all it was 7pm!) that I put
my head down on the arm  of his wheelchair.  I positioned his  hand and fingers
on my head and hair so he would have that “sensory” experience  of feeling
my hair as his fingers would move. (and I would get a gentle head massage!).
The armrest was actually quite soft and comfortable and we stayed  in silence
like this for at least five minutes.  (I probably even dozed off!)
All of a sudden I heard a voice…Brandon’s digitized voice  from his Dynavox.

“I LOVE  YOU.”
I looked up at him stunned, and as the tears formed in my  eyes (as they are
as I again retell the story), he just started smiling and  laughing.  Brandon
knew what my  reaction was going to be to what he said, even before he saw the
look on my  face.  He knew how happy he made me with  those three words.   He
knew that what he had said was  going to make me cry “happy tears”.  He
thinks it is funny that I cry “happy tears”.
So together we shared our unbelievable happiness…me with my tears  because my
son had given me this amazing moment…and B with his laughter and  smiles
because he knew that he had given me this moment.  A moment that will last
forever.
So you see...no matter the circumstances...you never really know  what can
make someone happy, nor in what form that happiness will manifest  itself.  It’s
different for everyone  but should be experienced and shared by all.
I  hope that my story made you happy whether it stays with you for a moment
or  a lifetime...
Whether you smiled and laughed, or had tears in your eyes…or  both...I hope
it touched your heart...