C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Fri, 17 May 2002 14:13:29 -0400
So, how do you like them grits, Kat?  Plain, with sugar, or with gravy?  I
tried making hominy one time:  you take dried corn (field corn, not sweet
corn) and soak the kernels in Red Devil lye.  When the kernels swell enough
to split, you "kill" the lye with vinegar (acid/base reaction) and then
rinse with copious cold water.  Take the kernels and spread them on a screen
to dry.

Tasted like sh*t.

My grandma sent me her recipe, and I followed it to a "T", but it was the
worst hominy I ever ate.  Her's was wonderful.  There must have been
something lost in the translation.

When I was really young, before she moved to the retirement "projects" in
Nashville, she would cook/bake everything on a huge woodstove.  Used to bake
tea cakes for me and my brother--they were delicious!  She didn't even use a
thermometer, but judged the temperature by moving the food to different
places in the oven or selecting different types of firewood to produce a
different oven temp.  It was almost like alchemy.

It's funny how sounds/smells/tastes can bring back memories.  In the winter
she would always have a whistling tea-kettle going full time.  I suppose it
was to put some humidity into the air.  Anyway, when ever I hear a
tea-kettle I smell my gandma's cooking.  Weird, eh?

Keep eatin' them grits, girl!  I hear that they are the new official food of
the Great State of Georgia.
-Kyle