C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Magenta Raine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Nov 2001 22:24:57 EST
In a message dated 11/27/01 5:29:26 PM Pacific Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> Subj:Fw: Paper on Disability-- HELP NEEDED
> Date:11/27/01 5:29:26 PM Pacific Standard Time
> From:<A HREF="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]</A>

Disability... is okay, but not "disabled"... a car is disabled,  but a car
doesn't have a disability. >

Sexuality>>> WE LOVE It as much as anybody else< but for many it "s hard to
get to a relationship>

Advocacy:  A POWERFUL TOOL>>>>

Medical Model: THE WORST MODEL UPON WHICH TO BUILD SERVICES AND BENEFITS
PACKAGES>

Social Model:  THE BEST ALTHOUGH CAN BE AMBIGUOUS AS EACH PERSON IS AN
INDIVIDUAL>

Culture:  SEE AXIS DANCE TROUPE FOR WHEELCHAIR BALLET> :~)

Media; never enough representation in film or TV...... what little there is,
is either focussed on making the person undisabled, or overcoming it to such
a degree like climbing Mt Everest, that not many can live up to that height.
We need a series (drama) where the mother has CP, and is coping with her
family like they do on 7th heaven.

Doctors/ 'experts';  ha! Big know-nothings that charge an arm and a leg ...
well, not all do, I had a wonderful CP doc growing up.

mag, 45, athetoid CP,