C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Carla MacInnis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Nov 2000 07:49:47 -0400
Here's my list

  osteoarthritis of the thoracic spine, diagnosed when I was 18 - yuck
  degenerative disc disease

  My doctor dad told me not to even consider surgical disc repair as the risks
outweighed the benefits with regard to recovery time, learning how to walk all
over again with a "new" posture, etc. The pain, although constant, is dull but
not as irksome as it could be were I of heavier weight. The fact that I'm small
(less than 120 pounds) helps in that the hips aren't subjected to an excessive
weight-bearing burden.

  I think a sound management plan might be in order for most of us who are
experiencing deterioration of the spine. Most of us over 40 experienced that
rigorous physical therapy protocol popular in the 50's and 60's. It is now felt
that we were "overworked". Now, parents tend to focus on the "whole" child, not
charging ahead with excessive therapies to improve physicality/mobility but
rather developing a multiplicity of skills with their child. I can certainly
appreciate the viability of this course. But ... had I not been "therapied" to
the extent that I was for as long as I was, I suspect I may not still be walking
at 46. So, I have to thank my mother for jumping and doing what she felt needed
to be done.

  I can see where passive hydrotherapy might be of benefit for those of us over
40 who are experiencing a decline. Massage therapy alone is of immeasurable
benefit to combat the pain and fatigue factor associated with aging and cerebral
palsy. I firmly believe these two protocols should be covered by health plans, if
they aren't already. Doctors are too quick to medicate, and that only masks the
symptoms with no real resolution to the long-term problem. Besides, medications
often dull our senses, and for those of us who ambulate, albeit awkwardly, we are
potentially set up for a falling accident with injury. I don't need a broken hip,
thank you very much.

years old due to the overwork associated with over-compensation and the various
patterns of adapting that we have developed over the years just to keep up. That
said, I believe we would do well to pace ourselves and accept that we're not 18
anymore and act accordingly. We're not dead yet!