C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Elizabeth Thiers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Jan 2005 07:33:49 -0500
Hi Debra,
I'm Beth an occupational therapist, I hang here for the good jokes.  I don't
have CP but, I've been working with people with disabilities (mostly
children) for 10 years now, been an OT for 6 years.
1.  Don't baby.
2.  Create experiences for the child to do work as independently as
possible.
3.  Get them out of the wheelchairs and down near their peers.  Children w/
CP should have a new position every 20 minutes to prevent contractures.
They should be in gait trainers, mobile prones, standers, rifton chairs etc.
Let the other kids play in the equipment when the child with cp isn't in it.
Good experience, bonding happens.
4.  Don't baby.  Unless there are strict doctors orders to do so.
5.  Adapt, adapt, adapt.  Whether it's communications, books, activities
whatever.
6.  Assume the child knows more than what you think and start there.  While
old statistics state that the majority of children with CP are mentally
retarded.  Honestly, most of them have never have good learning experiences,
the right set-ups or a chance.
7.  Don't baby.
8.  Do know that many children with CP have processing delays.  It takes
them awhile to respond.  This can affect hearing, visual, touch, balance,
etc.  These kids should be screened for visual motor deficits, central
auditory processing problems, etc.  If gentle insisting won't get this
testing done.  Just assume it's a problem and adapt from there.
9.  Adapting the curriculum is an on-going process.  I've seen too many
times that a child was evaluated, set-up accured and then that was it.  What
about putting worksheets on computers?  The company the teachers got the
worksheets from are required by law (ADA) to provide alternative methods of
accessing there work.  You have to know to ask.
10.  Did I mention don't baby these kids.

Beth t the OT